Law Offices of J. Douglas Angel
Representing Northwestern Indiana For Over 40 Years
Get Started Today 219-836-3133

Munster Indiana Family Law Blog

How to make your co-parenting plan work well for everyone

Divorce will change just about every aspect of your life. From your finances to your relationship with your children, you will have to adjust and make new circumstances work well for your family. This can be complicated and emotionally challenging, especially for the youngest members of your family.

To minimize the negative impact that a divorce can have on children, Indiana parents may try and craft a parenting plan out of court. This option allows you to have more control over the terms of your custody order, giving you the ability to ensure the terms suit the needs of your unique family. When creating a parenting plan, it is beneficial to consider the long-term sustainability of your terms and how to make it work well for every member of the family.

Seeking guidance on what to expect during a hearing for custody

If you and your spouse decide to take separate paths in life, you may encounter a variety of difficult choices, each of which could affect your future. If you have children together, taking measures to meet their needs and safeguard their well-being could be at the forefront of your list of topics to address.

While you and your soon-to-be former spouse might agree that placing the needs of the kids first is vital, agreeing on how to achieve this goal is another matter entirely. If the two of you cannot reach an amicable parenting plan during negotiations, it may be up to the courts to make the decision for you.

How to protect your assets

If you and your spouse are going through a high contested divorce, you may want to protect your assets. This can be increasingly difficult depending on how long you have been married. Couples that have been married for 20 plus years may have more difficulty keeping their assets separate than a couple that has been married for less than 5 years.

Find out how much money you have and where it is

Is your ex entitled to a portion of your 401k?

Dividing property and assets during a divorce can be cumbersome. There may be anger, pain and frustration, and you and your spouse may fight over some items more than others.

When it comes to splitting your assets, you may think of bank accounts, insurance policies or the house. But what about your retirement account? Is your soon-to-be ex-spouse entitled to your 401k, too? The answer is yes, and if you need to split it, you'll need a qualified domestic relations order.


Law Offices of J. Douglas Angel
9245 Calumet Avenue
Suite 203
Munster, IN 46321

Phone: 219-836-3133
Fax: 219-836-3497
Munster Law Office Map

Retainer/Initial Deposit

Current & Past Clientele